How to keep Dogs away from Poison

How to keep your Dog away from Poison

You love your best friend, and can’t imagine losing him.  However, one of the biggest mistakes we tend to overlook is placing rat poison in an area which is easily accessible to your dog.  Rat poison has a purpose, which is to kill rats and mice.  Rat poison is designed to taste really good and smell great to rats and mice, unfortunately this also true for dogs. Dogs love the smell and taste of rat poison, and therefore, will actively seek out rat poison. Thus, no matter where you place rat poison, be it in your garage, your backyard, or behind your couch, your dog will find it and eat it.

In case your dog eats rat poison and you luckily catch him eating it, you need to force a teaspoon or two of hydrogen peroxide down his throat, which will make him throw up. Next you need to take him to your local vet immediately; your vet may administer vitamin K to your dog to counteract the poison. However, if you are not sure and suspect that your dog has eaten it, then look for the following symptoms of poisoning: blood in the stool, blood in the urine, bloody nose, and bleeding from his gums. Rat poison stops the blood from clotting and basically is designed to bleed the animal to death.

Thus; if you have dogs or any other pets at home, it’s not recommended that you use rat poison as it can be fatal to your dog or cat.  Instead use glue traps to trap rodents, which are safe for your pet.

Another common household product is antifreeze, which is fatal for dogs. Your dog may be attracted to Antifreeze which may have leaked from under your car or you may have an unsealed bottle of antifreeze placed insecurely in your garage, furthermore, in freezing climate if you find a puddle of water, it’s certainly contaminated with antifreeze therefore, don’t let your dog drink from puddles during freezing weather.  Your dog will naturally be attracted to its sweet smell and will lick it. Antifreeze will damage your dogs liver and death can result in a matter of few hours. Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning can be vomiting; listlessness, weaving, and sometimes you can simply smell the antifreeze on the dog’s breath. If you suspect that your dog has consumed antifreeze, then take him to the vet ASAP.

Therefore considering all these points; one should be extra careful and keep poisons out of your dog’s reach, as well as prescription drugs.  Keep antifreeze away from a dogs reach preferably on the top of a shelf, where your dog can’t reach it.  Moreover, don’t use rat poison in your home. In addition, prescription drugs should also be kept in a safe secure area where your dog can’t reach them.

| 0 | Health

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.